Communication, innovation and entrepreneurship
Module coordinator: I&E coordinator, Cédric Ulmer
Besides fundamental knowledge on Computer Science, you will learn how to drive your innovations to the market. The first year of your Master you will get (i) basic course in Innovation and Entrepreneurship, (ii) Business Development Labs Courses and (iii) a Summer School. This is what we call I&E Minor courses. During your second year, you will either prepare a Master’s thesis in collaboration or not with a company, that includes creating a business plan for the commercial exploitation of your project. Or, you will be offered the chance to work during semester 1, on business cases, under the coaching of your I&E coordinator, using on line EIT Digital I&E blended material on Sakkai, and applying this on EIT Digital Action lines provided use cases.
During the first year of your Master, the I&E minor courses are split into two parts:
Part I/ directly managed by UNS
- The I&E Basics content: is the introduction on the topic through business administration and economy with a focus on Innovation and Entrepreneurship, and Communication skills. This is the basic knowledge for you on marketing, strategy, finance, HRM, IP management, economics, organisation and project management and will constitute the base for the Business Development Lab Course. Courses are given during the first semester, 6 to 8 ECTS overall (because we also account Communication skills)
- The Business Development Lab content builds upon the Basic Course, will enable you to conduct a full-fledged business development project. A number of entrepreneurs and practitioners hand over readily applicable experiences and knowledge in parallel to academic lectures. This is split in two: 2 ECTS in semester 1 (what we call at UNS, Mini BDL), 7 ECTS in semester 2 (what EIT Digital call BDL).
- Overall for Part I is 15 (to 17) ECTS
Part II/ not entirely managed by UNS:
- Inittially, it was supposed to rely entirely upon a shared on-line course to be provided by the consortium of entry points (University of Technology Eindhoven - TU/e - UPM, UNS), with additional local coaching on Legal & Societal aspects of Data Science. It is planned at the end of semester 2 (5 ECTS) ; But we decided in 2015-16, to better allow our own local partners to present students their view of these aspects of doing data science (and the shared on-line course was not ready!). In 2016-17, it is going to be some mix of these plans.
- a Summer School centrally managed by the EIT ICT Labs Master School (4 ECTS). In January, you will be offered to choose among the 8 proposed different summer schools. The summer school is 2 or 3 weeks long from end of June until end of August.
See details for them in the following files:
- Mini BDL and Communication skills
- Basics in I&E module
- Business Development Lab (description includes BDL and business courses information)
- Business Course on legal, societal aspects of Data Science information
See details in above linked pdf documents.